The physical archives of ARLIS/NA-SE are held in the Rubenstein Library at Duke University. Find the most up-to-date and detailed archival finding aid here.
ARLIS/SE Records, 1985-2001
Corporate History Note:
ARLIS/SE was founded in 1974 as a chapter within the Southern Region of the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA founded 1972, Chicago). Members primarily come from the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, and the American Virgin Islands. A Regional Representative is appointed by ARLIS/NA to the Southern Region / SE Chapter and serves a two-year term. This Representative serves as a liaison between the Chapter and the Executive Board.
The Chapter is involved in several activities. It issues a Newsletter, now called ARTifacts, hosts an online discussion list and web site, and holds a Conference annually somewhere within the Southeast region. In addition, its members participate in the ARLIS/NA Annual Conference, including hosting the Annual Conference in the Southeast in 1996 (Miami Beach). A major activity of the Chapter is its LoPresti Publication Award Competition, established in 1985 to recognize and encourage excellence in art publications issued in the Southeastern United States. This annual award is named for Mary Ellen LoPresti (d. 1985), who was the Design Librarian at North Carolina State University.
Scope and Content Note:
The Records are divided into two series (I. ARLIS/SE and II. ARLIS/NA). Series I includes general correspondence, annual reports, membership and bylaws information, and newsletters issued by the Southeast Chapter. It also includes documentation on the Chapter’s annual conferences, 1985 – 2000, including photographs from two meetings in Sarasota, Florida in 1985 and 1998. In addition, the LoPresti awards, 1985-1999, are well documented and include the guidelines, correspondence, press releases, and graphics.
Series II, pertaining to the national organization (ARLIS/NA), includes its Strategic Plan, 1991 and 1996-1999, the Chapter Success Book, 1997 version, material related to the 1987, 1996 and 1997 Annual Conferences, and a Conference Planning manual for 1983. Some information on membership and a chapter officers list complete the series.
INVENTORY (box and folder list)
Box 1of 1
Series I ARLIS/SE
- Proposal for 1991 ARLIS/NA meeting in Charleston, SC, 1986-1987
- Letters to ARLIS/NA re invitation to hold 1996 meeting in Miami Beach, 1992
- General, 1991-2000
- Letterhead and envelopes (blank), n.d.
- 1991 Revision ; 1999 – 2000 memos re proposed changes
- Lists, ca.1990-1991
- Lists, 1997
- Lists, 1998
- Forms, 1999
- Correspondence, 1996, n.d.
- Annual Conferences [one folder per year; some years include far fewer items than others]
- 1985 (Sarasota)
- Graphics for t-shirt design
- Photographs [8 b/w 3 ½” x 5”]
- 1990 (Charlotte)
- 1991 (Tampa)
- 1992 (Durham)
- 1993 no holdings
- 1994 (Birmingham)
- 1995 (Clemson)
- 1996 (Augusta)
- 1997 (New Orleans)
- 1998 (Sarasota)
- Photographs [12 color 4” x 6”]
- 1999 (25 Anniversary, Atlanta)
- Pre-conference Survey
- Brochure (includes mock-up)
- 2000 (Raleigh-Durham)
- 1985 (Sarasota)
- 1985 , 1991 [Reports]
- 1996 Regional Representative’s Report to Executive Board
- ARLIS/SE Newsletter [in one folder]
- Feb., Sept. 1989
- Sept. 1990
- Feb., Oct. 1991
- 1993 (partial issue)
- Fall / winter 1995
- Summer 1995
- June 1996
- Fall 1997
- ARTifacts [in one folder]
- Feb. 1998
- Oct. 2000
- Dec. 2000
- June 2001
- LoPresti Awards, 1985-1999 awards (1st – 13th; 14th & 15th incomplete) [in separate folders]
- Guidelines, 1984; 1991; 1999
- Award and entry form graphics, 1992, n.d.
- Raffle Tickets, n.d.
Series II. ARLIS/NA
- Strategic Plan
- Approved by Executive Board, July 1991
- Issued December 1996 [Strategic Plan for 1996-1999]
- Chapter Success Book, 1997 (updates issued since 1982, non-inclusive)
- Annual Conferences
- 1987 Final Reports, (15th Washington D.C.)
- 1996 Proceedings (24th -Miami Beach, FL)
- 1997 Preliminary Program (San Antonio, TX)
- Conference Planning Manual, 1983
- Membership brochures, Oct.1994, n.d.
- Chapter Officers list, 1998