The Southeast Chapter of the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) is pleased to announce the 31st Annual Mary Ellen LoPresti Art Publication Awards Competition for copyrighted 2014 publications.
Read below for entry details and criteria.
Books, Exhibition Catalogs, Serials, Artist’s Books, and in other categories as warranted.
Awards may be given in any or all of the above categories. More than one award may be given in a single category for a particular award year. Awards
may or may not be given for a particular category for a particular award year.
- For this award the copyright date published in an entry IS the year of publication. Eligible publication dates are the year prior to the calendar year
in which the award is presented (e.g. publication date 2013 for the award presented in 2014). The award committee will have the responsibility for
determining year of publication for entries with no printed copyright date. Entries with copyright dates other than the eligible year will be disallowed.
- Entries with copyright dates after the eligible year will be automatically entered in the following year’s award competition.
- Entries must be received no later than August 31 or each year. Entries received later than that date will not be considered.
- Subjects of the entries are restricted to the visual arts. This includes but is not restricted to fine arts, illustration, graphic design, photography,
industrial design, animation, computer arts, decorative arts, set design, architecture, and interior design.
- Types of entries accepted are books, exhibition catalogs, serials and artist’s books. In-house newsletters, posters, invitations and other promotional
materials will not be considered.
- Entries must be published in the southeastern United States of America: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto
Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, and the Virgin Islands. Entries that are published outside the southeastern United States of America but copyrighted
to an institution within the southeastern United States of America will be eligible.
- There are no restrictions on the number of entries. Only one copy of each entry is required.
- There are no restrictions on who may enter. Museums, galleries, educational institutions, libraries, organizations, commercial presses and individuals
are all eligible to enter.
The award is for excellence in visual arts publishing. Preference will be shown toward subjects of southeastern United States visual arts. The selection
- Usefulness to general library visual arts collections.
- Scholarly apparatus (contains notes, bibliography, index, captions,
credits, etc. where appropriate).
- Image quality.
- Design quality (aesthetics and construction).
- Content appropriate to its category.
- Aug. 31 Deadline to receive entries.
- Oct./Nov. Award announced at ARLIS/SE annual business meeting
- Dec. 15 Deadline to mail award certificates, mail press release about winners, mail regrets letters to publishers and mail winners announcement to all publishers who received announcement letters.
Mail entries with the completed entry form to:
ARLIS/SE Publications Awards
℅ Caroline Barratt
Miller Learning Center
University of Georgia
48 Baxter Street
Athens, GA 30602
Winners of the 2015 award will be announced in Atlanta, GA in October/November 2015 at the ARLIS/SE annual business meeting. Notification will be sent to all entrants. Winning entries will be placed in the Duke University East Campus Library, Durham, NC. Durham.
For further information, contact Caroline Barratt, firstname.lastname@example.org